Follow these instructions to set up your router.
Verify That Basic Requirements Are Met
Assure that you have the following:
• Network: A Wireless (802.11b or 802.11g) or Ethernet network
• Computer: One or more computers running Windows 98SE, 2000, ME or XP
Have your Ethernet or wireless network settings handy.
First, Install the Music Player Software
Warning: PC firewall software can prevent the music server from communicating with
the MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player. Consult the server software online help for full
details about firewall settings.
1. Power on your computer and log in as needed.
2. Insert the Wireless Digital Music Player Resource CD into your CD-ROM drive. The
CD main page will load.
• Install the MP101 server software to play music stored on your computers.
• Install the RHAPSODY
server software to take advantage of a 30-day free trial
to play music from their vast collection of recordings.
3. Follow the InstallShield Wizard steps, click Finish when done, and restart your
computer as needed.
4. Run the Netgear music server software and have it scan your hard drive to locate
your music files. Consult the
Reference Manual on the Wireless Digital Music Player
for full instructions on cataloging your collection of music in the server.
Next, Connect the MP101
Note: The MP101 will not work unless the music server you just installed or an Internet
service such as RHAPSODY sends it music.
1. Connect the provided RCA cable from the MP101 Wireless Digital Music Player to
your audio system.
2. Connect the MP101 to your network.
Note: The MP101 is set from the factory to automatically receive its network settings
via DHCP. If DHCP is not running on your network, you will have to set up the IP
address of the MP101 in the range of addresses on your network.
• For Ethernet networks, connect via the Ethernet port.
• For wireless networks, use the remote to browse the Network Setup menu to the
Wireless selection. Choose your wireless network and, if you are using WEP,
configure those settings.
Note: If the MP101 finds only one wireless network, it automatically selects that
one. Also, if the MP101 does not connect to a wireless network, you may have
to power cycle it before trying again. Refer to the troubleshooting tips in this
document or the Reference Manual on the Wireless Digital Music Player Resource
CD to resolve connectivity problems.
Play Music from Your PC or the Internet
1. Once the MP101 is connected to your network, it will also connect to the music
server you installed earlier.
2. Use the remote to navigate through the LCD menus to select music to play.